Carol Ross Scholarship for Studies in Occupational Health & Safety
Deadline for applications: July 31, 2023
This award will support a worthy student pursuing a career in Occupational Health and Safety through post-secondary studies. The ideal candidate will show a commitment to making workplaces physically and psychologically healthy and safe for workers and the communities where they operate.
The winner of the Carol Ross Scholarship will receive:
- $3,000 CDN towards their studies in Occupational Health and Safety
- Free access to all AASP safety training modules (valued at $3,500+)
Submitting an application
Complete the online application via the button below before July 31, 2023.
You will need to provide:
- An essay outlining why workplace health and safety is important to you, and why you are pursuing this course of study
- A copy of your enrollment form in post-secondary studies in OHS for the upcoming academic year
- Contact details of one reference
The annual scholarship of $3,000 is awarded to a student pursuing a career in Occupational Health and Safety that meet the following application requirements:
- Applications will be accepted from students enrolling in an accredited Occupational Health and Safety program at college or university in Alberta (SAIT, NAIT, MRU, U of A, U of C, U of L).
- Applications will be accepted from high school graduates and those furthering their education in health and safety graduate studies as outlined in the list of qualified programs.
- Applicants will submit their acceptance into a relevant program.
Applicants will submit an application prior to the deadline and must include a short essay outlining why workplace health and safety is important to them, and why they are pursuing this course of study.
- Applicants will be permanent residents and must be residing in Alberta.
Holders of an existing AASP QSR or those working toward a QHSO and want to pursue further post-secondary at the colleges and universities listed above are encouraged to apply.
2022 winner: Brandy Chimko
2021 winner: Kristi Engleson
2020 winner: Sonia Taylor
How the program began
This annual scholarship is awarded to a worthy recipient in honour of Carol Ross. Carol has dedicated over two decades of her life to the health and safety industry in Alberta. During this time, under her leadership, and with a focus on service to the industry, the AASP has flourished to become one of the largest certifying partners in Alberta.
In 2014, Carol was acknowledged for her contribution to the industry by the Albertan government, industry and by her peers when she received the Work Safe Alberta Individual Lifetime Achievement Award. For Carol, health and safety is not a career, it is a calling, and she remains passionate and committed to helping ensure that every Albertan worker goes home to their loved ones healthy and safe at the end of each workday.