Module 10: Managing Contractors in the Workplace
The learning objectives of this eight-hour course are to teach the participants about employer and contractor/prime contractor responsibilities to enable them to pursue and promote safer work habits by understanding the following:
PART ONE – Contractors/Sub-Contractors
- Identify and review employer responsibilities.
- Understand the responsibilities as stated in Legislation.
- Identify types of contractors.
- Understand necessary activities prior to hiring a contractor.
- How to find and select the right contractor.
- The importance of asking for estimates and/or proposals in writing.
- How to develop an approved vendor list.
- How to develop a contract.
- How to manage a contractor on-site.
- Learn the importance of contractor orientations and on-going monitoring.
PART TWO – Prime Contractors
- Learn about owners and prime contractors.
- Learn when you need a prime contractor.
- What the owner should do prior to assigning prime.
- What follows after assigning prime.
- Assigning responsibilities for the prime contractor.
- Prime contractor role.
There have been changes in the legislation in recent years and some of the terms have changed as well. This course will assist you in the world of working with Contractors and Prime Contractors. Know and understand what the responsibilities really are, as described in the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulation and Code.
This course is a:
- Mandatory course requirement for students pursuing the Qualified Health & Safety Officer (QHSO)™ designation.
- AASP recommended COR courses for OH&S Leaders.
A Certificate of Achievement will be issued upon successful completion of the course exam.
To successfully complete the course, the learner has 3 attempts to achieve 80% or higher on the exam.
Online duration subject to student capabilities.
AASP will also accommodate in-house training sessions as requested (min 12 participants – max 25 participants / session).
Additional courses will be scheduled as needed.