Module 18: Practical Steps to Support Mental Health in the Workplace
Our workplaces play a larger role in our mental health than we often like to admit. From the stress of shortened timelines to conflicts with coworkers and clients that make us uncomfortable, to the tensions around costs, profits, losses, and job security, it’s safe to say that our work can be a major stressor. Workplaces are an essential part of relieving that stress through compassion, communication, support, and structure.
DURATION: 1.5 Hours
PASSING GRADE: 80%
The learning objectives of this course are to:
In this course, you’ll learn about the role leaders play in improving and maintaining workplace mental health, different tools and strategies to manage and guide performance in positive and supportive ways, and how to support employees through challenges and recovery, so your workplace can be healthier and safer every day.
After this course, you’ll be able to:
- List the 13 factors that impact mental health in the workplace
- Describe the hierarchy of workplace mental health controls
- Explain daring and compassionate leadership
- Recognize the relationship between performance and mental health
- Implement person-centered leadership support, tools, resources, and best practices in your workplace
- Build trusting workplace relationships to support employee mental health
- Set clear expectations and provide feedback to employees using different management techniques
- Recognize the impact of workplace stressors on employees
- Communicate clearly and consistently to positively impact your team’s performance
- Recognize when and how to refer employees to other resources (e.g., Employee assistance programs)
- Use the best practices for managing acute distress in the workplace
- Develop a personal leadership code of ethics
A Certificate of Achievement will be issued upon successful completion of the course exam.
This course is an:
- AASP recommended COR courses for OH&S Leaders
To successfully complete the course, the learner has 3 attempts to achieve 80% or higher on the exam.
Online duration subject to student capabilities.